Kermit, is that you?

*Before you tune out, if you are a wimp you can substitute the word “poulet (chicken)” for “granouille (frog)”.*

I have been dreaming about this for a few weeks. In fact, I almost broke my neck when I slipped in the puddle of drool :-D

About as classical French as they come, Cuisses de grenouilles à la provençale is frog legs in a wonderful tomato/olive/white wine sauce.  The influence is very Italy, and the flavor is one of a kind.

What you will need to serve 4:
24 Frog legs or 8 chicken breast halves (I like airline cut for presentation, but whatever your butcher has…)
3 large tomatoes, cored and diced
2 cups pitted and diced black olives
4 shallots, minced
½ cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ tsp anchovy paste
½ cup dry white wine. I like a good New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc
1 cup flour
Salt and pepper to taste

In a gallon size zip lock bag, mix your flour, salt and pepper. Add the frog to the bag and shake to coat.

Heat a skillet and add some olive oil. Drop your flour coated meat to the pan and brown on all sides. When complete, remove from pan and keep warm.

Lower the heat and deglaze the pan with the wine. Scrape the pan well; you want all that goodness in your sauce. Before the pan is dry, add your onions, garlic and shallots. Let this cook until soft, then add the anchovy paste and stir well.

Once this is hot and the fishy goodness is melted, add your olives and tomatoes.  Once it’s all hot, drop your meat back in and bring it back to temp.

I like to serve this with buttered noodles; my mom likes it with mashed potatoes.

As always, let me know if you try this, and how you like it. Please, be brave and try it with frog!

2 comments:

Shutterstar said...

Oh boy!!! This looks like a recipe that Richard will want to try. :)

Matt said...

@shutterstar I think he might have tried it with chicken. I made an iteration of this with chicken for a Valentine's banquet at FFC (Pastor Tony was there...)

Post a Comment